For showcasing outstanding theme-based architectural illumination excellence by lighting up the Bogibeel Bridge in Assam, Bajaj Electricals was awarded the ‘Global SSL Showcase Top100’ by the International Solid State Lighting Alliance (ISA) on November 25. The event took place at the Shenzhen Exhibition Center, Shenzhen in China.
One of the dream projects of India’s former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, who had laid the foundation of the bridge in 2002, the project was formally inaugurated by current Prime Minister Narendra Modi on December 25, 2018.
With a serviceable period of almost 120 years, Bogibeel Bridge is India's longest rail-cum-road bridge which is situated on the Brahmaputra River in Assam. The 4.94 km bridge has a strategic significance to India due to its connectivity to the North-Eastern border. The bridge will not only reduce the distance for the people of Arunachal Pradesh and Assam but also facilitate faster movement of troops and supplies to the India-China border.
Bajaj Electricals made a well-coordinated effort to optimise its complete potential of meticulous designing to precise execution in the creation of the whole illumination structure, thus creating a symphony of magical lights.
Here are some of the key highlights of the project:
- Bogibeel Bridge has 39 spans of 125 meters each and a superstructure of composite welded steel truss and reinforced concrete.
- Energy-efficient and eco-friendly, this architectural lighting structure is controlled by the state-of-the-art intelligent central control system.
- To capture the emotions of the people and to sync with the local culture, the entire lighting project captures the hues of colours and dynamics of the local festivals such as Bihu, Jaapi etc.
- Approximately 1100 numbers of 48-watt compact-sized outdoor grade LED luminaires were used to illuminate the structure.
- The distinctive use of tuneable RGB LED fixtures led to the possibility of creating multiple scenes and themes.
- The system is loaded with pre-programmed and well-designed themes. Additionally, the system also offers options for easy re-programming at any occasion. The entire illumination scheme is designed with colours and patterns inspired from the elements of nature, local culture, and national/global emotions.
- With minimal power consumption, the complete power supply and control system circuits are optimally designed to suit the extreme outdoor environment of the riverbed.
- Executed by Bajaj Electricals, a daily day-to-day theme show will run with changing gradient of colours starting at dusk-time with warm sunset mode and ending at late evening with a cooler and darker night mode.
- With the aim of honouring natural serenity and perpetual dynamics of the flowing river, the main theme of the daily programme – 'Theme Brahmaputra' captures the soul of the river, where the entire gigantic structure becomes an impersonation of the flowing river.
- The system involves a single type of luminaire which maintains the consistency in the appearance of all luminaires across the entire bridge facade.
- With an agenda to protect the environment, the luminaries were optically supported with precise beam angles, ensuring minimum spray of light to the surroundings, thereby minimizing light pollution.
- Below the main superstructure, pylons are supported at a spacing of 125 m which were also illuminated as a part of the project.
Being an architectural site and a sign of prestige, the illumination project by Bajaj Electricals is designed with utmost care to enhance the visual appeal which symbolizes the cultural roots of the nation.